Posted by Bee & John on March 28, 2014 at 7:45 PM
I couldn't believe it! Not until I saw it, did it, tasted it and used it! YES, you CAN make your own Brown Sugar,
It is is SO easy it's a shocker that they charge you for it!!!
- 400g sugar
- 40g Molasass (80g for DARK brown sugar)
- hit REVERSE (you don't want to grind it down to a goo)
- stir on speed 4 for 10 seconds
- scrape down (the moslasass can stick to the sides)
- stir again on speed 4 for 10 seconds!
Some answers for any questions you might have..... I have been doing some thinking and research since I found out about the whole brown sugar thing
- How to keep it? Store it in an airtight container (just like normal brown sugar) so it doesn't dry out. If it does, just wizz it again with a little more molasass
- How long does it keep? Just like store bought, it has a VERY long shelf life.
- Which Sugar? ANY. If you have white, use that - after all, although brown sugar is SUPPOSED to be natural sugar with the molasass kept in, it is OFTEN the white sugar with molasass just like we can make ourselves.
- Can I use Raw or Rapadura sugars? Sure, but remember two things....
- it HAS a little of the molasass in it already (that's what gives it the lovely taste and the honey colour) - so you might like to reduce the molasass a touch
- The sugar crystals are generally coarser than white sugar, so you might want to grind them a touch (speed 9 for 1-4 seconds)
- Does it have to be Molasass? Nope - but that is what brown sugar is after all. It isn't the texture but the taste you need when you are making bikkies etc. Try with other things like golden syrup or agave - let me know :-)
- Can you miss out the mixing step and just add molasass and sugar to your recipes? Sure, especially if theres some mixing involved - 1 tablespoon of molasass to 1 cup of sugar.