Posted by Bee & John on April 6, 2012 at 1:05 AM
I often get asked what do I do with my Thermomix when we have something like a roast.
First of all... let me tell you that although I OFTEN use my Thermy for breaky lunch and tea - I don't ALWAYS use it for everything. But it comes in very handy even IF there is a roast in the offing.
This recipe is a perfect example. Perfect gravy, everytime! John, the consumate Butcher that he is (the career, not the mass murderer type) also knows how to cook the perfect steak! Especially this year as he got a Weber Q for Christmas and enjoys putting it through it's paces.
Nothing better on a really good steak than a beautiful cracked pepper, mushroom gravy (to my mind anyway)
(bit of a fluid recipe - as in go with the flow. How much of things depends on how much you a) have and b) like the flavour)
- 1/2 - 1 tsp of Cracked pepper (grind first, if you have the whole peppercorns, and set aside)
- 1 brown onion, peeled and quartered (optional)
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 3-6 medium sized swiss brown mushroom or similar amount of others
- 400ml of water
- 3 heaped tsp of cornflour (which will make a thick sauce, add a little less if you want the sauce to be thinner)
- 1/2-1 tsp of Thermomix concentrate stock (either veggie or chicken)
- add garlic to bowl and chop on speed 6 for approx 5 seconds
- add onion and do the same
- scrape down the bowl
- Either add halved mushies and chop for 3 seconds on speed 3 or add some sliced mushrooms (I like them sliced)
- add butter & pepper to bowl and cook on REVERSE, speed 1, for 10minutes on 100oC
- mix together water, stock and cornflour and with 3 minutes to go, pour through lid
- When it beeps it's ready for the steaks!
HINT: also great for baked potatoes or even hot buttered toast (I'd lean on the higher number of mushies for that though