Posted by Bee & John on April 19, 2012 at 2:20 AM
As mentioned in the last post... I am a slave to my memory. My mum was a fabulous cook and it is my shame that I didn't realise it and appreciate it more! By the time I did - her memory was failing and wasn't up to sharing her recipes.
One of the very special things that my mum made... was her Mousse. VERY easy. VERY rich!!
- 4-5 eggs, seperated and at room temp (depending on size)
- 1 family sized block of choc (or equiv) in pieces - milk or dark (mum used a mixture of half and half)
- put the egg whites into a CLEAN TM bowl
- insert the butterfly
- Whip the egg whites on Speed 4 with the MC on for the first 20-30 seconds and then take it off ( This allows air to enter into the bowl as it is whipping and will fluff the egg whites a fraction more)
- Continue whipping until the egg whites are very stiff.
- take the egg whites out of the bowl (gently, don't loose the bubbles) and put aside in a bowl bigger than the egg whites by 50% at least.
- don't worry about cleaning the TMX bowl, but leave the butterfly in
- add the chocolate pieces into the bowl
- set the temperature to 37oC and set the thermomix going on speed 1-2 for 4 minutes.
- Check that the chocolate has melted and is smooth. Cook a little longer if it isn't.
- set the speed to 1 and set it going. Take the MC off and add the egg yolks ONE at a time and wait after each one until it is completely mixed in before adding the next.
- When all the yolks are added, stop the TMX and pour the choc/yolk mixture into the bowl containing the egg whites.
- Stire it all together very gently.
- Set for a few hours in the fridge
- ENJOY it, love it, and think of me
LESSON: This is rich and a little goes a long way - you can make it a) lighter and b) go further by folding in some whipped cream as the final step
HINT: as a mousse this is MAGIC - but I have also put the Mousse mixture into Cream Puffs and THEY are brilliant!!! Drizzle a little melted choc on top and you will be admired and reveared for ever!! Mousse Puffs can cure most of the World's problems and send you floating into space. (too many and you'll plummet tho... careful!)
No picture.... after Easter I have put on enough weight without making my favourite mousse!!! Sorry