Posted by Bee & John on May 2, 2012 at 5:35 PM
I saw this recently on a website and thought to myself.... "self, you need to try this"
After all, I love mint and ginger beer - it's bound to be a hit... and it was!!
The recipe is EASY peasy.
- 4 long sprigs of mint from your garden (or a commercial bunch) - leaves only
- 10g of fresh ginger - cut in 4
- 200g of sugar
- 250g of water
- juice of a lemon (optional)
FIRST - chuck the ginger and mint in and chop on 6 for 5 seconds
THEN - put sugar and water in and cook on 100oc for 10 minutes on speed 1
FINALLY - strain and put into a clean, sterilized jar or bottle. Makes about 350g
I mixed a little bit of the syrup into some cold soda water and took a sip. I was expecting it to hit me with a rich/sweet flavour but it is very subtle but very flavoursom. I know that seems like an oxymoron (2 cancelling out statements) but you'll have to try it to find out :-)
What to do with it now??
- mix with soda water for a mild flavour
- mix with lemonade for a richer flavour
- mix with rum or even a little wine for an alcohol kick
- pour over ice cream for a special flavour treat
Will keep for a couple of weeks in the fridge