Posted by Bee & John on June 9, 2013 at 4:35 AM
This recipe is from Annabel Langbein's "the Free Range Cook" cookbook and all I did was converted it for use by a Thermomix. (Ya gotta get a Thermomix Annabel!!)
We had these this morning.... they were DELICIOUS!! And what's more, delicious! Oh... I already said that.... they were easy too! Although it has a bit of mint in the recipe, it isn't "minty" - there's only a hint every now and again.
Zucchini Feta and Mint filling ingredients
- 2 zucchini's
- 150g of feta (I actually used tasty cheese - very nice)
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 10-12 mint leaves
- Zest of one lemon (I left this out and didn't miss it)
Basic Fritter Batter
- 250g Plain Flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- I'm pretty suire you can use half and half SR and half Plain if you don't have baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 250g of soda water, or just plain water (I used plain water)
- 1 tsp salt
- ground black pepper to taste.
- Line a colander with a piece of cloth or a strong bit of paper towleling and put over a large bowl - set aside
- Wash & dry the Zucchini's and chop into 5 or 6 and put into the TM bowl
- Add the mint leaves and the chopped spring onion to the Thermomix bowl
- add grated zest of lemon, if using (If you are grating in the thermomix do FIRST)
- Chop on speed 4 for 4-5 seconds
- Scrape out and put the mixture into the colander
No need to wash the TM bowl
- Add the cheese (chop, if you are like me and didn't use fetta but a hard cheese, for a few seconds on speed 6)
- Add the rest of the basic fritter batter ingredients
- Mix on speed 5 for 10 seconds. Scrape down and do again if there are still lumps
- Go to the zucchini and squeeze out any excess moisture. Don't go nuts, just a general squeeze.
- Discard juice and tip the zucchini/mint mixture into the large bowl
- Pour the batter mixture into the bowl also and stir roughly to mix.
- REST for at least 30 minutes, up to 5 hours
- Lightly oil a frypan on medium heat
- add a large spoon's worth of mixture to the pan
- when bubbles appear flip over
- when they feel springy transter from pan to plate. Put a little more oil in the pan if needed and start all over again with next batch
- We made a half lot and it made 20 palm sized fritters
- Use 3 cups of corn kernals and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese instead of zucchini bits; or...
- Make the basic batter herbed, and then top (when cold) with smoked salmon, sour cream and sprigs of dill
Why not spoon the mixture straight from the TM bowl? And put a metal spoon in against my blades? Never! Besides, it had to sit for at least 30 mintues, I needed my thermomix!