Posted by Bee & John on August 8, 2011 at 8:10 PM
This page should really be called... how to utilise the Thermomix when you are not using the Themomix
The other day we were going to have Veal Snitzels for dinner. As great as the Thermomix is... I use a frypan for those. But I certainly used the Thermomix! Gravy and mashed potatoes.
First I made a cracked pepper and mushroom gravy...
- 1 teaspoon (or more if you like it peppery) of black pepper, grind for 10-30 seconds on speed 10 (depending on whether you like your pepper cracked or ground)
- HINT: lay some paper towelling on the closed like and then put on the MC - that effectively blocks the steam gap and you won't get a nose full of cracked pepper
- Add some sliced mushrooms (swiss browns are yummy!!)
- Add 20g of butter
- Sautee for 3 minutes on 100oC, speed 1, reverse
- 500m of cold water and
- 1 heaped tablespoon of corn flour
- 1 flat tablespoon of either vegetable or chicken concentrated stock (made in the TM of course)
- cook on 100, reverse, speed 3 for 6 minutes
Then I put the gravy into a preheated thermoserver (the 1 litre one is fantastic for gravy) and then I made mashed potatoes in the Thermomix (don't wash it first! The gravy was going on the potatoes anyway so why not have a little in there to start with!). All while the Snitzels were cooking. Easy Peasy!
HINT: With the gravy, you need the speed to blend the corn flour into lump-less gravy, however this does make the mushrooms a little blended too - if you want lovely slices showing - remove the mushrooms after the sautéing stage - then add the water and cornflour, mix for 20 seconds on speed 5, then add the mushrooms again and cook on 100oC, reverse, speed 1, for 5 minutes.