Posted by Bee & John on October 24, 2013 at 9:55 AM
The very first time I EVER made a salad (A coleslaw) I actually made coleslaw juice. Does that sound familiar??
Ever since then, I NEVER wanted to make coleslaw mush ever again. And I didn't..... I learnt a trick... easy peasy salad... YOU can make the best salad in the blink of an eye.
To add even more value to this post, I'll add the recipe for my favourite style of coleslaw - and name it after myself..... Why?? Because I can :-).
Will this method of chopping work ONLY with my coleslaw? No, no, nope, uh huh! This is the HOW to for ANY similar sort of salad - eg broccoli salad, beetroot salad.....
It is based VERY much on the EDC coleslaw salad, with a little extra Bee-ness - ok... now I'm making up recipes AND words... bear with me!... (OH DEAR! I just verbalised the word Bee... ness and lets just agree now to change that word to Bee-ing right?)
- Choppy bits
- 1 green apple, washed, quartered and cored
- 1 large or 2 medium carrots - scrubbed or peeled, cut into chunks
- 1-3 spring onion chopped into small pieces
- 1 -3 heaped tablespoon/s of mayonnaise (depending on taste)
- a large handful of cabbage chunks about 2-3cm squared.
- Stirry bits
- small handful of dried cranberries (if you like them whole, or put with the choppy bits if you don't)
- small handful of walnuts (or almond flakes, or pine nuts, or.....)
- the pulp from 1-2 passionfruits (or extra lemon juice)
- READ this through to the end!
- add choppy bits to the thermomix
- lock the lid on and put the MC in place
- Turn the thermomix on to speed 4 (NOT higher)
- the Thermomix wil bounce around for a second, but after that SINGLE second, whip the MC off the lid
- WATCH the coleslaw - you will be able to tell how large the pieces are.
- Stop when they get to the right size. For me it is 4 seconds
- Add the stirry bits
- Set the thermomix to REVERSE
- Stir on speed 4 for 4-6 seconds, or until it is all mixed in.
- Plate up and enjoy
Here are some photos to show you sizes etc, but first, the link to the video :-)
Watch the Videos
here is the size of the chunks of veggies that I use for the choppy bits in the Broccoli Salad (EDC).
and this is the final broccoli salad result