Posted by Bee & John on April 19, 2011 at 2:07 AM
Well! What the heck is bacon jam? I'd never heard of it and would NEVER had even thought of something like that!
I got a recent post from Helene's fabulous Super Kitchen Machine blog and she had devised 2 different recipes for this Canadian delicacy.
I had to try it. In fact I tried BOTH recipes! Both are delicious but I have to say I'll be making the savoury from here on in.
What on earth would you use bacon jam for? so far I have....
- used a couple of teaspoons added to my ragu recipe this morning
- had a little on toast under cheese, then grilled under the griller
- Used as a "relish" with BBQ sausages
Other uses could be...
- just used as a meat spread on bread - it is quite strong so use sparingly
- use to either add to, or in place of, tomato base on pizzas
- mix a little with scrambled eggs
- Use it like a really well flavoured bacon stock
LESSON: Helene describes the cutting of the bacon being messy - my advice is to use short cut bacon. It is a little more expensive, but as there is very little fat, cutting it is easy and very little "draining" required, it works out cheaper because of the amount of bacon you have left at the end of the frying up stage and I wonder if you can cut down the bacon a bit.